Friday, July 5, 2013

The Origin of 'Pigothy'

  Even though I took half of the photos already, fashion blog will still have to come another day. Instead I grace you with the story of the origin of this 'Pigothy' name that followed me since the beginning of Steam days.

  I first came to contact with the actual pig animal when I was born awkwardly in the gap between the year of the rat and the year of the pig (before Chinese new year 1996 so I can be considered as both). Since the two alignments are so different we've decided to go with the Pig even though my age really corresponds to that of a Rat.

  Maybe it was the influence of my Chinese Zodiac but I've developed a strange sympathy for pigs since landing in Australia. I think they're super awesome and more awesomer than other animals. I always considered having a pet pig after watching Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For" but obviously I knew that my parents only thought about bacon.

  So on that fateful day in 2005 some random Korean streetmart lady happened to be selling pillow pets in the middle of Hurzy Westfield, mum had her eye on a plush dog but the moment I saw the pig on display I was drawn towards it and while mum negotiated prices of the dog with the shop lady I held on tightly to the pig, I wouldn't let it go and begged my mum to buy it for me. I was obsessed with that pig, I wouldn't let go of it for like 3 days and I held it to bed every night to the point of not being able to fall asleep without it on camping trips/while it's being washed.It was the first non-secondhand plush they ever bought me (in my knowledge ofc) and look at me now, still hugging onto it in the peak of my young adulthood. It's pretty much become a part of our family. Even till today I get pissed off at people who touch it without permission or even look at it with dodgy eyes. I remember screaming at a really good friend for hiding it as a joke.

 My obsession with that pig (and my growing laziness and endless pit of a stomach) rightfully earned me the nickname of 'Pig' or 'Piggy'. And so, after deciding to remain genderless on the platform of Steam I decided to change my name to 'Pigothy.' It was a name from a video of one of the first Minecrafters I've watched, Ryan, Double or Mr360Games.

  I didn't know my steam friends will take this name so seriously (since Larina just called me Waspy after my original 'waspberry' name). It was until I met Mumble did it make any serious impact because some dumb cootie named Ju thought it was my actual name and told everyone after yelling at it (original name was 'Pig' in Mumble) for so long. It's always "Goddammit Pigothy" or "OMG Pig" and soon revealing my actual name didn't matter because the stupid thing stuck, forever. A poor 17 year old high school girl is now named Pigothy, which probably derived from Timothy and is way too manly (they were surprised I was a girl and not a nubstar dude in the first place).

  It was really annoying at first, but slowly that name just stuck and became significant. The original Minecraft Pigothy got yelled at by its owner for his game freezing after riding him into the Nether. This was beyond the poor pig's control but no everybody blames him. "This is all your fault Pigothy!". And somehow that's quite familiar to me now that I go back and rewatch it because it literally echoes what I have to go through everyday on Mumble. Not really in a bad way because noone means anyone harm but yeah quite funny and cute how it's always Pigothy that gets all the 'hate', but noone ever says "Dammit Selena you're so shit".

  Recently I played LoL with a friend's friends (they're all really good at it so do you see what's coming?) and one of them questioned why Selena's IGN is 'Pigothy', my friend improvised her version of explaining but I only thought about how funny it is that nobody really knew why. And the cuter thing is the Pigothy phenomenon just happens all over again "I blame Pigothy for bot lane lost".
Blue Transparent Star